Sunday, September 05, 2004

Another Typhoon

As #18 approaches Kyushu, I could understand if readers begin to feel that I have some unnatural fixation on this natural phenomenon. Certainly, I have mentioned typhoons repeatedly over the past month but that is because this year's typhoon season has been particularly severe.

Usually, only two or three typhoons per year actually reach land. Last year, I do not recall any typhoons approaching my town of Innai. Most vere off harmlessly into the Pacific causing little disruption to the main islands of Japan. This year, however, six have already landed and tomorrow's typhoon will mark the seventh. Furthermore, #19 appears to be headed towards Japan as well although it will not likely hit Kyushu.

As I speak, it is raining quite heavily and the winds are gusting; a sure sign that the typhoon is approaching. When I get home tonight, I will stuff a plastic bag in the hood scoop of my car to prevent a repeat of last week's damage to my car's spark plug. I am also considering taping a sign to my steering wheel to remind me of the bag's presence. I am sure that melted, burnt plastic covering my engine would be a greater evil than a little bit of water...


No comments: